Skip to main content
                         
                           IWE (ANGER)
               The Ills Of Domestic Violence
    A Manuscript by Awodumila Folasayo 

Our Traditional Wedding was the talk of town for weeks, Emeka was my dream come true, our Courtship Lasted for just six months, it was love at first sight between I and Emeka, my name is Efeture am an accountant and this is my story.

I met Emeka my husband at a friend's gathering two years ago; am quite shy and so he did all the toasting and chasing, Emeka seemed to me as a complete gentleman ( So I thought) he treated me nicely and I fell totally in love with him. Two months into our Courtship Emeka proposed I felt everything was happening too fast cause I wasn't really ready but I was so inlove that I cared less and accepted his proposal and within six months into our Courtship we were already preparing for our wedding.
One weekend i went to Emeka's place without informing him I was coming, I knocked on the door and he opened obviously he was surprised to see me, he asked why I didn't tell him I was coming over I told him I wanted to surprise him, I entered the sitting room, as I sat on a chair I noticed I sat on a picture, so I took it and I stared at a very pretty petite lady in the picture I asked Emeka who she was but he just shrugged and took the picture from me, after pestering him he told me the lady in the picture was his ex, truth be told I felt really insecure if that lady in the picture was his ex but he assured me it was over between them, my love for Emeka made me trust him and believe all he told me.

Few months into our wedding I took in and it was the happiest moments in our lives. Nine months after wards I gave birth to a bouncing baby boy, a replica of my husband Emeka; Emeka was the happiest man alive at that point, we had a little Beautiful family. As soon as our son clocked one, things started changing in our home, my once loving husband became my worst nightmare. Two years into our marriage things started changing, my husband comes home late, atimes he doesn't come home for days, one weekend I was cleaning our room, Emeka was downstairs, his phone was on the table in our room, suddenly I heard a message alert coming from his phone, I don't intrude into my husband's personal affairs but this particular day I was interested to know what has been taking my husband's attention from me, so I picked up the phone went through his messages, his Whatsapp messages and I was shocked, my husband has been cheating on me, no wonder the late nights and absence from home, the more annoying part is that the lady in question was his ex he spoke to me about not once or twice, in which I suspected he still had feelings for, cause prior to our wedding I overheard that his ex was getting married that particular month, I was still holding his phone when Emeka stormed in and started shouting on me that why am I with his phone before I could utter a word a dirty slap landed on my cheeks, that was the first time my husband ever raised his hand on me but it wasn't the last.

Emeka hit me at every slight argument we had, I became a punching bag to my husband, our marriage turned from sweet to sour, during one argument we had one afternoon he mentioned that he never really loved me that he just settled for me when the woman he truly loves was getting married to someone else and that the whole wedding and all was just to spite her ex, those words pierced into my heart and instantly I became a shadow of myself.

Another day I was beaten to stupor by Emeka, I landed in the hospital, my son was with our neighbor, for four days that I was admitted at the hospital, Emeka never came to check on me or on our son, in the fifth day I was discharged and was taken home by our neighbor. Ronke our neighbors wife advised me to leave this man before he kills me, but I told her I have no where to go to, it's forbidden where I come from to resort back to your parents house after marriage.

Emeka didn't come home for two weeks, all I heard is that he is now living in a rented house at Lekki with his ex, he came home one evening and all he did was head straight to the room to pack his things, I knelt down to beg him to please forgive me and come back home, he ignored all my pleas, as he headed for the door I held on to his legs with tears in my eyes begging Emeka to Stay, he shoved me aside and left I and his son.

I became extremely depressed, alone, I felt like a neglected Clay and a used tool, where do I start from, where do I go, how do I take care of my son alone, everything seems too much to bear and so out of frustration I ended my life but before doing so kindly share my story as I pen it down.

What is DOMESTIC VIOLENCE :
Domestic Violence is a pattern of abusive behavior in any relationship that is used by one partner to gain or maintain power and control over another intimate partner. Domestic Violence can be physical, sexual, emotional, economic or Psychological actions or Threats of actions that influence another person. This includes any behavior that intimidate, manipulate, humiliate, isolate, frighten, terrorize, coerce, threaten, blame, hurt, injure or wound someone.

Many people are becoming acutely aware of the Ills of domestic violence, Domestic Violence does not discriminate. It takes the opportunity to damage all families who suffers from it's wrath. Many are now familiar with the cycle of violence and the terms " anger phase " "cooling off period" and "honeymoon phase". Theses three stages are common in an abusive relationship many statistics are available to tell us that it is common for a victim to suffer abuse seven times before they call for help.

However, in domestic violence cases, there are many statistics that cannot be calculated. When we stop the cycle by intervention, education, counseling, protective orders, incarceration or placing the Victims in a shelter, we never know how many of those cases would have resulted in a domestic violence homicide. We never know if we have prevented the next murder suicide where the offender also takes his/her own life. We never know if the intervention prevented the offender from killing the children.
Once you start noticing traces of domestic Violence in your home or relationship please seek Counseling and I would always advise separation for a while till things get normalised so that either of the party doesn't hurt themselves to death.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SPIRIT OF TRUTH (Spiritual Gifts)

  SPIRIT OF TRUTH (Spiritual Gifts) - is Speaking in tongues the only evidence of the Holy spirit? A Manuscript By Folasayo Awodumila   My Name is Elsie Brown, a Lover of God and everything he represents, am from a Christian home, my father is a minister in one of the pentecostal Churches. Elsie you would have to meet up with us in Church, I don't want to run late my dad had said on this faithful Sunday morning, I rushed to the ironing board to get my clothes ironed, hurriedly had my bath and scooped three spoons from my Cereal that morning, Walking down the lane I saw Pa Joe, you see Pa Joe is one of the oldest neighbours in the neighborhood, Pa Joe keeps to himself most times, I learnt he lost his only Son and Wife at about the same year and thus he became withdrawn, Good morning Pa Joe I said as I waved at him, he waved back with a faint smile on his face,  I boarded a train and in no time I got to Church, the Service had started, and as I entered the auditorium, I sighted my D

UNSTAINED (Modesty)

UNSTAINED (Modesty) A Manuscript By Folasayo Awodumila The Club was a banger last night, Ifeyinwa said through the phone while she applied her makeup, my name is Ifeoluwa Akani, University of Lagos welcomed it's freshers last night, and yours truly was one of them, the experience is one for the books, I met a couple of freshers like me, Eno, Ifeyinwa, Sade and Agnes, as fate would have it we also shared thesame hostel. Where are you going to I asked Ifeyinwa, who was still on a call, the freshers night that took place last night knocked everyone out, all the other roommates were still snoring on their beds including me but here is Ifeyinwa all dressed up ready to go out, Ifeyinwa looked at me through the mirror she was using for her makeup and gave me that it's none of my business look and continued with her phone conversation. University life seem totally strange to me, coming out from a place you were restrained all your life to a place where you have total freedom to do just

GUILT (JESUS PAID THE PRICE)

                                                        GUILT (JESUS PAID THE PRICE) A  MANUSCRIPT BY FOLASAYO AWODUMILA  INTRODUCTION : Yet, Christ paid the full price to set us free from the Curse of the law. He absorbed it completely as he becomes a curse in our place, for it is written " Everyone who is hung upon a tree is doubly cursed (Gal 3:13) How did Jesus pay the price : He was human and without sin, he was able to take our sin and sacrifice himself on the cross to pay for our mistakes.(Col 1:14) We all have a guilty conscience, to let us know if we've done something wrong, or that pricks us when we do wrong things, but Jesus offers another way to make things right with God of justice - a way to free us from the condemnation of God and of our own conscience, it's a way that lets the principle of justice stand and at the same time rescues people who would be condemned by it, Jesus said " The son of man (Jesus Himself) came not to be served but to serve and to